Landmark Dedication and Special Science Symposium
AirUCI is proud to partner with the American Chemical Society as it dedicates our building, Rowland Hall, as a national science landmark for the work done by F. Sherwood Rowland and Mario Molina in discovering the "ozone hole" over Antarctica, a discovery that won them the Nobel Prize. The dedication ceremony will be held outside the Rowland Hall lobby on April 18th at 4:00 pm. We ask that you individually RSVP to the dedication ceremony and reception.
In conjunction with this landmark dedication, AirUCI will host a two-day symposium entitled Science and Societal Impacts of Air Quality and Climate Issues: Past, Present, and Future. We will broadly discuss climate change, air and water quality issues, and methods for communicating science findings to the public. The symposium will be held at the Beckman Center April 18-19 and will feature a stellar lineup of speakers, including:
- Allison Campbell: President, American Chemical Society / Associate Lab Director, PNNL
- Jane Hall: Economist, California State University, Fullerton
- David Hasemyer: Pulitzer Prize-winning Investigative journalist, Inside Climate News
- Wayne Nastri: Executive Officer, South Coast Air Quality Management District
- Mary Nichols: Chair, California Air Resources Board
- C. Arden Pope: Professor of Economics, Brigham Young University (health effects researcher)
- R. Ravishankara: Professor of Chemistry, Colorado State University
- Paul Shepson: Distinguished Professor of Analytical & Atmospheric Chemistry, Purdue University / Division Director, Atmospheric & Geospace Sciences, NSF
- Ellen Williams: Distinguished Professor of Physics, University of Maryland / former Director of ARPA-E
We anticipate strong attendance at the symposium and space is limited. Breakfast and lunch will be provided at the Beckman Center for the symposium attendees. In order to accommodate everyone, we need RSVPs by March 20th, 2017. To minimize driving, we have arranged for a discounted room rate of $115 at the Ayres Hotel near the UCI campus in Costa Mesa — just mention the UCI rate when you book your room.
If you are bringing members of your research group, please have everyone attending register individually at this link: Register for the symposium